Kvibe Productions is delivering a written out documentation of the Red workflow with Redcine-X Pro and Avid Media Composer 6. We think this is one of the best workflows for Red as of now since we think AMA is not ready for Red footage yet.
Please leave us comments or questions of our workflow. We are here to help!
Redcine-X Pro and Avid MC6 workflow
1) Create New Project in Avid with appropriate name
2) Create Bins called DNxHD36, DNxHD175, Pull Down List 36
3) Go to Redcine-X and import all .r3d files by selecting folder
4) Select all clips and ensure it is “Center Crop” (tool side and scroll all the way down)
5) Export via DNxHD36 to Avid Project > Project name > Converted DNxHD36
6) After exported, move MXF files to the Avid Mediafiles > MXF > 1 (or any number you choose)
7) Go to Avid and import the AAF files into the DNxHD36 BIN
8) Then import additional Metadata by selecting all clips > File > Import > ALE file
9) Start Editing
10) After locked edit, we need to re-link to desired final quality. Within Avid, we will relink to DNxHD175 or something better. Create a bin called “Decompose”
11) Duplicate the edited sequence and move it into the Decompose Bin
12) Right click on sequence then click on Decompose
13) Create new sequence
14) Select all new clips and drag it into the timeline of the new sequence
15) Rename Sequence to “Pulldown List 175” (or whichever final format you are trying to go online)
16) Select the new sequence > tools > Output EDL
15) Go to the EDL manager window and ensure it is File _16
16) Click on “Get Sequence”
17) Save As to the Avid Project
18) Color grade footage in Red Cine-X
19) Export to DNxHD 175 or another format
20)Move MXF files to Avid Mediafiles
21) Go to Avid, import new MXF files from “MEDIA TOOLS” into the DNxHD175 Bin
22) Highlight all and import the ALE file
23) Go to Original Rough Sequence and change clip color to source
24) Highlight all DNxHD 175 clips to another color by going to Bin > Clip Color
25) Go to original sequence > right click > Relink
26) New relink sequence should appear as with new color indicating it is the new clips
27) Render out final output.
Be sure to write back to us and let us know your thoughts.